Thursday, July 7, 2011

Hormone Therapy 1 Month In

I'm clearly not so good at this blogging thing. I'll get better.

When I last went to see my Dr., he advised me that since I was "perimenopausal" and my uterine wall was "slightly thinned", he'd put me on hormone therapy. Specifically: Estriadol 2mg twice a day cycle days 2-25 and Progesterone 10mg cycle days 21-25.

He was right. I do feel better. Mostly-with the exception of the spare tire I've acquired. I'm not as moody. I have more energy. I sleep better. I'm more interested in sex(TMI?).

Is it terribly vain to not like the extra few pounds I'm carrying around my middle? Am I shallow for feeling a little ambivalent about the changes(specifically the weight gain) my body will undergo if and when I get pregnant? I swear, I'm not a shallow, vain person. I just happen (for the most part) to like the way I look.

As R previously mentioned, after much discussion and thought, my husband and I have decided to wait until the beginning of next year to move forward. $20,000 is a lot of money, and of course, we'll do whatever we need to do, but we agree that since we've found an insurance carrier that covers about 80% of the costs, why not wait a few months until open enrollment, change insurance companies, and put a little money into savings.

I spent several hours on the phone with a nurse from the insurance company who covers infertility and specifically one that covers egg donation. It was worth the investigation. I asked many many questions that my husband had, R had, and I had. The moral here is, if and when faced with infertility it's worth it to shop around a bit to see what insurance carriers in your area offer and what they exclude.

Of course, the downside, and I admit, a small worry of mine is the delay by 3-4 months. Originally, we were looking at a target of mid September or so. Now, we're looking at January 2012. Mostly, my concern is what if by waiting for new insurance, I end up waiting too long? Of course, logically, I realize everything will work out the way it's supposed to work out.

My Doctor said we'd continue the hormone therapy to "maintain" my uterine lining at optimal thickness. He reassured me that a few months' time would not matter so much in the bigger picture of things. I sure hope he's right.

So for now, a holding pattern.

~K

3 comments:

  1. I hated the weight gain of pregnancy. You just feel fat until you actually have a nice, round belly. And then it took a good amount of time to get it all off.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly believe that this will happen. God will let this happen. Because I know her eggs will fit perfectly in your basket. I know her eggs.

    ReplyDelete

We truly appreciate your questions and {kind} comments. Please feel free to comment using your name!